Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Part 1: The Trip Down The Mountain Or Something Like That

So this last weekend was probably one of the most craziest weekends of my life. It was my brother's wedding. Crazy eh? My brother married. Chris married! But's it's awesome and I'm so happy for them. If you want to see their pictures, feel free to visit their website:

www.jenandchris.ca

Anyways, here are some highlights and tales from the weekend. This post will start with the trip down:

We drove my car as well as my parent's car. Oh yeah, did I mention we had Chris' car too? That's right, we had 3 cars going down, just with my family alone. However, one was getting ditched in Vancouver with Chris, and mine was for the purpose of taking Jenn (my friend, not Chris' new wife), Neal and Justin down too.

While driving, Jenn and I came up with some more words and actions. And of course we managed to convince Justin to join in (Neal didn't join in til the way back because he slept most of the way down). So now we have train (put hand on head and other hand on chin - it reminds us of Brian, a person who's worked with trains and is obsessed with them), and waterfall (hand trickles down like a waterfall).

Then there were the car troubles. My car started to lose air in one of my tires. It was later discovered that there was a nail in it. So we took it to a little shop in Blue River. It had chickens! The guy patched my tire and said it was a slow leak therefore the nail was probably in there for a couple weeks. I know exactly where I got it too.....da da da! Concordia. Stupid construction. Ok ok, so I could have gotten it anywhere, but the chances are good that it was at Concordia because for the last month I have practically lived there. I haven't been many other places. (There are more car troubles to come, but not yet).

So my biggest fear of driving down was the Coquihalla highway. There could be lots of snow, there could be nothing. It's so hard to tell at this time of year. Well, we did hit snow by the time we hit the Coquihalla lakes (on the east side of the toll booth). It wasn't bad at first, but after stopping, I got my dad to lead. It got slow going down and I was scared of not being able to stop. The worst of it all? I didn't have any gum! Yeah, I know, big deal. For those that know me though, you know I like my gum when I'm stressed or uptight. I wanted my gum. Instead, I grabbed a straw and started chewing on that instead. Better that than grinding my teeth, right?

So after driving 15 hours, we made it to Cloverdale (Surrey). It was good to get in, but I was exhausted. So I slept good. The next day, was the Good Friday service at Zion. My parents showed up, which I kinda figured they might, but it added to the awe of "wow, the Becker family. They've grown and changed so much!" mentality. However, there were a few people that we did that to as well. Such as me with Ken (man, he's still cute - I had a"crush" on him in Kindergarten...if you could call it that at that age).

After church and dropping Justin off (I'm starting to understand how Surrey's roads work now), Shannon and I went for lunch and then watched a movie. That's when the second set of car problems happened. I got a phone call saying, "Leah we need you to drive people around in Vancouver. The brakes are not functioning properly on the van." Well, I didn't go right away cuz they said they didn't need me right away. I later found out they went with the van anyways cuz they were trying to get it fixed. So after much brake fluid filling and trying to find a car mechanic on Good Friday, it was discovered there was nothing really wrong. I still don't understand what the problem was, but it seems to be fine now (and they did make it home safely which is a good indication with all the mountains to drive down).

Finally, driving down, I got to drive across my bridge! Yay. Yes, I call it my bridge....no it's not really my bridge. As I kid I always wanted to drive across it, but my brothers didn't. I would ask my dad if we could drive across my bridge and he understood what I was talking about (I didn't know what it was called at the time). So now I call it my bridge. Can you guess what it's called?










Well, then I made it safe to the hotel, thus ending the trip down.

4 Comments:

At 4/20/2006 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you made it there safe and all. As for driving the Coke hwy, it can be a bit unnerving even in the good april weather. Mind you this is usually the first time I have driven in four months and it is a full sized camper van. Oh how I can't wait to seet the ugly thing again. May 12 seems like and eternity away

 
At 4/20/2006 2:23 PM, Blogger morgan said...

i would've thought that if it was anybody's bridge, it would be alex's bridge... ;)

my sister and i used to be like that with the lion's gate... we used to call it the "pearly" bridge, for all the lights.

 
At 4/20/2006 3:37 PM, Blogger Alyson Sunny said...

I like the pictures, I like the bridge and the story, oh and is that Alex from School?? (with your brothers) Love ya.. oh and You look hot

 
At 4/20/2006 4:39 PM, Blogger Astley said...

Yes that would be Alex in the pictures, and yes he would be from school. He was in the same grade as Chris in High School.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home