Monday, June 20, 2005

Fun Times in Ahousat

So I'm back from Ahousat, and boy to I have stories to share. They were definately not my brightest moments in life, but it's good for a laugh.

So, shortly after arriving in Ahousat, a group of us decide to take a stroll on the beach. We start picking up shells...and of course they're full of sand, so we washed them out in the ocean. Well, regan was wearing her shoes and the waves ended up chasing her, but it all worked out alright and she escaped the waves. Well you would think i would learn that the waves would chase me too. Didn't even occur to me. So, I go to wash this shell off...i'm in my runners and, well, the water wasn't coming close enough. In fact it is was moving farther away. So i chased it. That is until I heard the crash of a wave and realized it was coming back and FAST. So i tried to run, but I knew I was losing. Then I tried to jump (why???..I don't know) hoping to miss the wave. Well, I missed the wave, but not the ankle deep water behind it.

I"m not done. The next story occurs not even 10 minutes after that.
So we keep going, looking for shells, and now everyone is asking me to wash theirs cuz my shoes are soaked and i'm carrying them at this point. So as we're looking for shells and I see this white stuff in the sand. So i go to investigate thinking it might be a partially buried shell. Well, as i'm realizing that it's not a shell (because it crumbled with the sand) Markus behind me is telling me it's bird poop. Way to tell me sooner Markus, like when i was actually in the process of reaching for it.

However, bird poop was not the grossest thing I touched that day. On the way back to the lighthouse, there was a big shell that I went to investigate. As I was picking it up though, I noticed that there were tons of barnicles on it. At a closer glance I noticed that there were these really tiny worm like creatures IN these barnicles....YUCK!

My final story occurs the next day as we were cleaning up for kid's camp in the hall (so people in the community could play volleyball). Those of you who have had to deal with the mats at the Concordia gym will be able to sympathize (or at least understand and visual the humor in this story).
So regan, kirby and I are rolling up these mats. Regan had just done one fold over and I decided to give it a go, thinking I could do it just as good. so I grab the map and start moving forward and....THUMP! I land smack dab on my face. That's not the funniest part though. Kirby decides to give it a try. You would think she would learn not to do it my way cuz of what i just did. But no. She grabs the mat the exact same way. She moves forward the same way and...you guessed it...THUMP! Smack dab on her face just the same way I did.

All in all though, this was an awesome trip. I learned that I have a gift in reading stories out loud, and I built so many friendships not only on my team, but in the community as well. They are special to me. Please keep praying for them as they are still dealing with many struggles.

5 Comments:

At 6/21/2005 2:18 AM, Blogger neal said...

You know that barnacles are the little tiny worm things inside, and that the outside is just a shell...

 
At 6/21/2005 9:05 AM, Blogger Astley said...

Oh shush...it was gross all the same :oP

 
At 6/21/2005 7:56 PM, Blogger crashklein said...

Glad you had fun Leah

 
At 6/22/2005 10:33 AM, Blogger Alyson Sunny said...

He He, it was just as funny "hearing" about it the second time. Next time you try to beat the waves take the shoes and socks off first.

Luv ya

 
At 6/23/2005 11:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oi vey!
You tried to jump the wave? I can just picture it now....*giggle*
Glad you had a good time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home