Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I Speak Canadian - eh?

Well, I'm just finishing up day 3 here in the Chicago area. For those of you who don't know, I'm at my grandma's house in Marengo, Ill. for a family reunion. And yes...we drove.

So, we got in late Saturday night and even got to see Canada day fireworks...well, we called them that. In reality, people were just practicing for July 4th fireworks. It was quite the drive Saturday night as we ended up running into a fairly major storm. I was ok with that because I wanted a decent thunderstorm...well, I was ok until my mom got me tense:

"Leah, no matter what, just follow the van". So I'm thinking in my head that this is a tornado carrying storm and we may have to leave the interstate and detour to grandma's place. "Leah, even if we go into the ditch...follow us". Shit, shit, shit...was all I could think. But we stuck it out, and asides a few 'Canadian' funnels (that's what my mom calls them cuz they're soooo tiny and harmless), we made it through with just rain, wind, and tons of lightening strikes. It was beautiful!

Sunday brought about getting up early to go to church...YUK! (for the earliness...church was good). But little did I know that not even 24 hours here I would be put to work. I found out during the service that there was an associate pastor ordination and installation happening. I didn't think much about it cuz I was tired. But while my grandma and I were delivering tapes of the Saturday night service (for shut ins) she said I should come sing cuz they needed people in the choir that day. So with only 30 min of rehearsal, I sang for the installation service in the choir. It was fun though.

And then yesterday I conquered my fears and went on the batman ride. We went to Six Flags Great America in Chicago. It was a blast. I didn't go on most of the big rollercoasters (Raging Bull, Deja Vu, Superman, etc) because I can only handle so much fear in one day, but I went in promising myself (and my relatives along) that I would at least do the batman. It's a rollercoaster that flips and corkscrews and the whole time your feet are dangling...nothing beneath you. I made the mistake of having my eyes closed the whole time...darn it! Next time.

I think my uncle really wanted me to try raging bull, but it was too high...200ft high to be exact. No flips, but the subsequent hills were still higher than most first drops on other rollercoasters. My favorite was the Viper (which is only 80ft first drop..FYI). It's a wooden rollercoaster. I love it. I prefer spinny rides to rollercoasters anyways (except the Viper).

Stacy managed to go on the Superman rollercoaster, but we later discovered it was because she didn't realize what she was getting into (it was somewhat hidden from view). I got some cool videos that I'll have to try and get up here sometime. Oh, and my dad has some cool ones too. He was very daring. Not only did he go on these big rollercoasters, but he took the camera and snuck it out as they were pulling out of the stations and then filmed the whole ride. They're pretty cool. See...why ride when I can just watch them from my dad's camera?

Anyways, today was day 3 and it was a long day of doing yardwork and getting a nice sunburn (tomorrow it will be a tan). I learned how to ride the lawnmower (a john deere riding mower...yay) and I did a pretty good job on the yard. But today's not what counts. I have to do a perfect job on Friday cuz Saturday is when everyone comes over. Talk about pressure...jeez. I'd say that at least I'm not like some of you guys where it could cost me my job or a case of beer, but you really don't know my uncle (take my mom and multiply by worse - for those who know my mom)...perfectionism in other people is scary for those around them. I have 2 to deal with! But he said I did a pretty good job...and if I didn't, I might get away with a case of beer as a bribe (I know I would with my dad).

Well, that's my update for now. Adios Amigoes!

Now....where's that lotion...

12 Comments:

At 7/04/2006 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are having an awesome time down south. Also Cindy Simpson sends her greetings to all!

Steve

 
At 7/05/2006 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7/05/2006 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great America... I have not been there in almost 20 years. I think the last time was when I was a Youth Group Advisor and I took six of my kids for the day. The wooden roller coaster back then was called the American Eagle. It was not part of Six Flags, but owned by Warner Brothers. Do they still have Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and the other WB characters? Enjoy the Midwest and have a safe trip home. 24 hours and counting for our flight to Vancouver.

Peace.

By the way I deleted my earler comment, since my cut & paste skills are deteriorating and it did not make any sense.

 
At 7/05/2006 6:51 PM, Blogger Astley said...

The American Eagle is still there. It is the only other wooden rollercoaster. I didn't go on it this time. And yes, all the WB characters are still there. Although, when asking Sylvester where Tweety was (my sis really wanted to see Tweety), we discovered he finally hate the bird. lol

 
At 7/05/2006 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwww poor Tweety bird!! Lol

Steve

 
At 7/06/2006 5:33 PM, Blogger Alyson Sunny said...

Sweetie, glad your having fun, miss you like crazy!

 
At 7/19/2006 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cutie. You Back??

 
At 7/19/2006 6:46 PM, Blogger Astley said...

depends...who are you?

 
At 7/23/2006 11:02 AM, Blogger morgan said...

LEAH HAS NOT UPDATED FOR 19 DAYS! WHY ISN'T ANYBODY HARRAS... i mean, "encouraging" HER?!?! HUH? HUH?!

 
At 7/24/2006 9:11 AM, Blogger Astley said...

cuz they love me more...
or maybe i just put out more...

Neal? What do you think?

 
At 7/24/2006 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

grespu?! What kind of a word verification is "grespu"?!

 
At 7/24/2006 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the last time I was in the USA was... 8 years ago (New York) and 19 years ago (Michigan, Indiana, Illinois). Never been to any other state, but I was in Frankfurt's airport for 20 hours waiting for a connecting flight to Austria 21 years ago! :) Whoa, almost as long ago as some people here have been alive! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home