Monday, June 05, 2006

Volunteer Anyone?

So, have you ever heard of Relay for Life? It's this cancer fundraiser and support event. A bunch of people gather together to raise money for cancer research but also to encourage and support those who have had cancer, have cancer, or lost loved ones to cancer. It's a really amazing event.

I got to participate in it a couple summers ago in Campbell River. Our church put in a group, and what we did is took turns walking/running (whatever people felt like doing) around this track circle. It took all night (I believe it was 12 hours - 8pm to 8am). It was a great time to bond with those that came and to see the amazing support going around.

Anyways, what does this have to do with volunteering? Well, they're running the same event in Stony Plain on June 16th (friday). They run it across the country at different times, and this was a time that worked for me. However, I was wondering (before I sign up) if there was anybody who would like to join me. It would be a great chance to hang out helping for a good cause (and of course, then I wouldn't have to go hang out with complete strangers all by myself...I'm not completely as outgoing as many people think).

If you're interested, give me a shout...preferably ASAP. And for those who would join me but are outside of Edmonton, feel free to sign up in your home area. You can get more information at www.cancer.ca (just click on your home province and then on the relay for life information).

Well, back to work I go, I go...back to work I go!

2 Comments:

At 6/07/2006 10:41 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

I did the Relay for Life last year! it was fun- but exausting! i came about 2 hours late to it after having worked and work had been CRAZY that night!
My group decided we were going to come up with inventive ways to go around the course! we did the crabwalk, cartwheels, piggy-backs, that queen-carry thing . . . all sorts of stuff!
I wish i could of done it again this year- not only is it a great experiece and lots of fun, but it is for a great cause!

 
At 6/07/2006 11:30 AM, Blogger Astley said...

I know! I loved it and can't wait to do it this year...I just really don't want to go alone...ya know? Although I'm not sure what this experience will bring cuz I won't be a participant. I'll be a volunteer.

So we'll see...I'm going either way (depending on the times they need me).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home