Monday, August 21, 2006

This Has Always Been My Goal In Life...

Follow this link to see what I strive to do with people:

http://www.lhm.org/dailydevotions.asp?date=20060822


But does it work? NO! Ok, maybe it does. But it doesn't always feel like it. Not when you have people who use you and walk all over you. Or those that are so caught up in their problems that it doesn't matter what they say or do to you. Or those that just don't appreciate it.

I'm not trying to guilty anybody. I'm just dealing with some emotions right now because sometimes these things do happen and it makes me wonder why I even bother to care.

I've always said that I hate having a big heart because it always gets hurt. And the bigger the heart, the more there is to hurt. I know it's a gift. But I also see it as a curse.

I mean why do people have to take advantage of my big heart or deal low blows when they're upset? It's not fair to "shoot the messenger" or to "bite the hand that feeds you". That's all I'm trying to do. I portray God's love and comfort...and yet, people still attack or abuse the kindness that is shown to them.

Can I just say this? Having a big heart is painful enough without abuse from those who don't care. It's painful because I do care big or small. I cry when people hurt, I ache when things are rough for friends, and I cringe to see the world in despair.

But having the big heart also allows me to laugh with my friends, celebrate in their success and find joy in the little things of life. It really is amazing to find joy in the little things in life. From the smallest flower to the great big sun above, there are things that God has given us daily to put a smile on our faces. Unfortunately it is so often missed.

So in conclusion (I know I've jumped around a bit), let's all carry each other's burdens and encourage one another to keep trecking along, so that we all can take the time and share in the big and small wonders of life.

(Insert cutsie picture here....stupid computer)

Now you know something deep and personal about me...I shall go blush :0P

10 Comments:

At 8/22/2006 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leah, I totally hear your pain. Having a big heart can be painful but it can also be the high that we all need. Please Pray for Peace and comfort for Pastor Bob Koebernick as he is about to go to heaven because of the cancer he has been suffering.

May God's will be done

Steve

 
At 8/22/2006 9:10 PM, Blogger morgan said...

aww, leah i <3 YOU! you're my favorite (just don't tell the others...)

 
At 8/22/2006 10:00 PM, Blogger Alyson Sunny said...

Morgan, sniffle I thought I was your favorite. But clearly I Dont care, nope just as long as I still have Leah. Leah I love you and your big heart. It goes well with you! MMMWWWAAAHHH!

 
At 8/22/2006 10:41 PM, Blogger R. Schremmer said...

Leah, beloved sister in Christ,

   Have you ever seen the mime drama of the woman who thrived on the simple joy and happiness she enjoyed in Christ? One day there came a guy mime into her life and he saw this joy and happiness that she enjoyed, and so he pursued her and enticed her to give him her heart because he thought that if he had her heart, he could have her joy and happiness too. And so, after time, she eventually gave in and handed him her heart; and so he shared in her joy and happiness for a short time, but shortly afterward he began to play with her heart, playfully tossing it up in the air and catching it (much to her horror), and eventually it fell to the ground and shattered. She was crushed, and all he could do was gather up the pieces and hand it back to her before backing away in shame. And so there she was, her heart broken . . . perhaps she felt alone and abandoned, or countless other things; but then she remembered Christ and turned to Him to mend her broken heart, as only He could. And you know what? He did. And soon afterward she was okay again, and joy and happiness filled her heart as she rejoiced in Christ. And when the guy who had broken her heart saw this, he wasn't sure what to make of it; so he sought her heart once again. Only this time she didn't give him her heart; instead, she brough Him the Gospel of Christ and through it He came to know the source of true joy and happiness in Him---and they were together with Christ at the foundation of their relationship.
   It was a really neat drama, one of many that I remember to some degree of another. :) It's kinda funny, but I know a certain guy at work who, after we're done talking, often muses that we always end up talking about women and religion . . . then I remind him that it's because he brings up women and gets disheartened, so I always need to bring in Christ to bring him back to reality and that things aren't as blah as our hearts would deceive us into believing! :) We are dearly loved by the one true living God who loves us more dearly, faithfully and truly than anyone among creation could ever love us. . . . and yet, here we are; on the one hand we want a bf/gf and (ultimately) a spouse who will unavoidably be sinful to one degree or another (only may they be a truly repentant and forgiving Christian believer), and on the other hand we desire that person to be just as sinless and perfect as Christ! :) The difficult part is that depending on the person and how much we love or care for them, their words or actions can result in a lot of pain and heartache. What's worse, the pain only seems to multiply the more God grows us in His love, to love others---even strangers and our enemies---with the love He has given us for them.

   So why should we care about those who would take advantage of us, use us, abuse us, foresake us, break our heart, etc.? I mean, we wouldn't do that to them or even to God, would we? . . . would we? . . . I don't know about you, but when I consider all the times I've failed God, abused His gifts of grace for the forgiveness of my sins, foresaken Him for some momentary thing, broken His heart by setting myself or anyone / anything else before Him as the focus of my life (even for a moment), I cannot help but take a step back when others do the same against me . . . and ask God to forgive me for all the times I've done the same against Him; and then ask God to forgive those people who have sinned against me also, and work on our hearts that together we may come to true repentance, and grow in the one true faith which is found only in Him. I ask these things in Jesus' name because I know that it's only in Christ, His love and truth that any of us have any true and unfailing hope, forgiveness, life and unity. If God is patient with unbelievers and the like because He doesn't want any of them to perish, even if they're busy condemning and even putting believers to death, then why wouldn't I want God to refine my heart so that I could share in that same love, desire and hope for others---even to reach out to them with the love and Gospel of Christ as they're hurting me, abusing me, or even killing me? . . . I'm not saying we should strive for martyrdom, but I am saying that when we take a step back and are honest with ourselves, are we any different than they? If I'm honest with God and myself, I know that for the most part I'm not---except for Him who has redeemed me, lives with and in me, and continually grows, refines, sanctifies and empowers me to be all that God would have me be in Christ Jesus, regardless of my vocation in this life.
   It is only because of Him that any of us are able to look beyond our own suffering to realise that those who are doing these things are in a worse state of affairs than we are. These people need the love of Christ, they need His forgiveness, they need His Gospel in their lives, they need Christ as the foundation of their lives, et al.---and we have all of these things and so much more in Christ Jesus! More than this, he gives us these things in overflowing abundance to give to others! That is why Jesus reminded His disciples that if people hate them (i.e., the disciples), they ought to remember that they hated Him first. We shouldn't be surprised to share in His sufferings, and neither should we be overwhelmed because we are dearly loved, we are His, and we are never alone because He is always with us---in good times and rough---even to the end of the age.

   More than this, we have all been baptised into one body, the body and bride of Christ which is the Church. Let us love, correct, build up, encourage and work together in Christ as God has enabled and gifted us so that we may grow together in Him and work together to bring the Gospel into a world dead in sin and dwelling in darkness. After all, we do these things not by our strength but by Him who lives with us, in us, and empowers us in Christ Jesus and by the Holy Spirit to the glory of God our Father. :)

 
At 8/22/2006 10:46 PM, Blogger R. Schremmer said...

Steve,

   Rev. Bob Koebernick and his family remain in the thoughts and prayers of the believers at Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Edmonton. May they find comfort in our risen Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus, and the gift of eternal life which immediately awaits both him and all believers in heaven---and late includes our bodily resurrection on the last day, the day of judgement! :)

- Roger

 
At 8/23/2006 9:32 AM, Blogger Astley said...

Just for everybody's information...IT'S NOT ABOUT A GUY! All it is, is a rant that I've been wanting to have since High School, and now I've had it.

I feel fine and am doing fine...just felt like ranting about something that bugs me and needed to get off my chest.

Anyways...gotta go back to work.

Thanks for loving me everybody! I <3 you all!

 
At 8/23/2006 10:36 PM, Blogger R. Schremmer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8/23/2006 11:06 PM, Blogger R. Schremmer said...

Leah,

The mime drama doesn't need to be between a gal and a guy; the person who has joy and happiness in Christ could be anyone; the one who desires to have that joy and happiness could also be anyone; and the means by which the latter attempts to attain the joy or happiness of the former could include everything from enticing them into a relationship, or it could involve acquiring their heart and trust by way of a friendship or business arrangement, or whatever the case may be.
   What's important to note is that the person who desires joy, happiness, trust, etc. somehow attains it (perhaps by our giving in or having pity on them) and they thrive on it for a while before doing (or saying) something which shatters that which we entrusted into their care---be it our heart, our trust, or whatever the case may be. Perhaps they did it intentionally or unintentionally; God only knows. The point of the matter is that the one who gives is hurt by the one who receives. Some who receive don't show remorse, but show defiance and seek to bring more pain and grief to the one who gives; others show remorse and, like Peter, turn away in shame. Still others show remorse and immediately repent and seek forgiveness. Are we any different in our relationship with God or others around us? We always need to take a step back and take the log out of our own eye before we try to take the log out of the eyes of others. When we realise our own sins and shortcomings, it makes it easier to forgive, pray for and love others---even those who have sinned to some degree or another against us, just as God (our Father) demonstrated His own love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for our sins, and Christ prayed for us (most powerfully, perhaps, on the night in which He was betrayed), etc.
   And so, in midst of our own suffering, we find comfort in Christ, who heals our heart, restores our trust, and gives us true joy and happiness beyond measure. More than this, He gives us what is needed and empowers us by the Holy Spirit to reach out to others with His love and Gospel truth, so that they might grow to know Him as the source and foundation of the love, trust, joy and happiness they hunger for---and so much more.

   The same, perhaps, could be said for the rest of what I wrote; it not only applies to relationships, but even friendships, classmates, business associates, co-workers, certain people in the church, family members, and others, too! :)

   Anyway, that's it for tonight. I need to bike home and get some sleep. Farewell and God's blessings to you! And yes, you are dearly loved! :) Have fun with work! :)

- Roger

 
At 8/24/2006 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Leah,

Just a head's up that Ron and britt's team will be leaving Nanaimo and heading to Edmonton for one day to train with Michael G. Then they go to Vancouver for 2 week and then are back in Edmonton. This would be around the 15th of September!

 
At 8/26/2006 9:18 PM, Blogger Astley said...

What day will they be here? Who are you? Do you know if they need a place to stay for a night?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home